Smudging can be a great way to clear negative energy and create good feng shui. It’s like giving your sacred space an energetic shower! The practice of smudging is an ancient tradition that involves burning certain herbs or other materials so that the fragrance of the smoke fills the home or other space. The smoke is thought to connect humans to the spirit world and dispel any negative energy. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to purify your own space by smudging!
1) Grab a smudging material – such as a bundle of sage, sweet grass, or palo santo.
2) Place it on any heat-proof burning surface, like an Abolone Shell.
3) Light the bundle by holding a flame to it until it begins to smoke. If a flame begins to form, gently shake the bundle or blow until it is just embers and smoke. You may have to re-light the bundle a few times during the ritual process.
4) Once the smoke is going, use you hand to direct the smoke over your body from your feet up to your head, then back down again. As you do this, visualize the smoke taking away with it any negative energy from your life, any darkness or malady.
5) Once you have smudged your body, begin to move through your space. Wave the smoke into all corners, across doorways and into dark spaces.
6) Once the space is cleared, allow the bundle to either burn out or gently press it out in your heat-proof shell or container. Ideally, you should try to use a new smudge for each cleansing.
Wondering when you should smudge your aura and/or space? Here are some ideal times:
- When you move into a new living space
- Before and after a guest enters your home
- Before and after a yoga or healing session
- Before meditation
- After an argument or any illness
- Upon returning home from crowded situations
- When you begin a new job or start your own business
The beauty of smudging is that it can be done at any time, as often as you need – no matter your background or culture. Happy smudging!