Chia seeds: everyone's favorite power food. Aside from being protein-packed, fiber-filled, and loaded with antioxidants-- what makes these little seeds, super? Chia seeds are very popular among health-enthusiasts because they are said to expand multiple times their size when in liquid, thus curbing your appetite and keeping you feeling full much longer. With that said, a little chia goes a long way (literally).
The chia concept is gold, however many people don't know how to use the seeds once they have them. Here are six easy ways to incorporate chia seeds into your meals and snacks throughout the day;
1. Chia smoothies. You won't even know they're there. Whether you're making fresh-pressed juice, or blending up a mix of your favorite produce-- sprinkle in a serving size of chia, mix and serve with a fun straw.
2. Chia muffins. Try adding a handful to any muffin recipe (we suggest a lemon-blueberry muffin). Mix them in when you add the dry ingredients, such as flour. If muffins aren't your thing, they can be added to just about any dough-- chia seed soft pretzels, anyone?
3. Chia pops. Nothing screams summer like a frozen, sweet treat. Try this popsicle: mango, coconut water, and chia seeds blended, poured into a mold and left to freeze.
4. Chia pudding. An oldie, but a goodie-- check out our recipe on the blog, Chia Seed Pudding. It's sweet (pun intended)!
5. Chia soup and salad. Mix the seeds in with your favorite dressing, let sit for about 5 minutes and drizzle over your salad. Making soup? Dump a handful of chias into your soup and stir in the pot for an additional 1-2 minutes. Lunch is served.
6. Chia water. The easiest way to consume chia seeds throughout the day is to add them to infused water. Cut up some fresh strawberries, lemon, cucumber and add them to your biggest (glass) water bottle with a tablespoon of chia seeds. Sip away, all day!
Chia seeds are flavorless and a lot easier to use than most may think, get creative and enjoy!