Yoga isn't about being able to touch your toes, it's about what you learn on the way down. Here are 7 life hacks that our practice has taught us;
Photo Credit: Wanderlust Yoga Festival | Neil Gandhi
1. Stop and breathe. When you're feeling overwhelmed- whether it's on the mat or in the office- pause, close your eyes, and take five deep breaths.
2. When you fall down, get back up and keep going. Just like it's easy to fall out of a pose, it's easy to feel discouraged in life. The key is to get back up and try again.
3. Your body is a temple. In yoga we learn to connect our mind and body. In life we make a conscious effort to keep our body happy and healthy by eating right and staying active.
4. Have fun. We encourage you to take the positive energy from your practice and throw it around like confetti. Act silly, laugh often, and remember there is absolutely no good reason to act your age.
Try this: at the end of a really great yoga class, turn off the lights in the studio, turn up the music and dance like a spas.
5. Learn to bend, so you don't break. Just as we bend in yoga, sometimes we need to bend the rules we have created for ourselves. Eat the cupcake, it won't kill you.
6. See the beauty in everything. Yoga is beautiful, and so is life. If you can remember that, you're already winning.
Try this: keep fresh cut flowers around the house. It is a simple way to keep a fresh mind and to see the beauty in everyday life.
7. Challenge your limits, don't limit your challenges. Trying a new pose for the first time isn't easy, but the challenge and discipline it takes will make you a stronger person. In life, step outside of your comfort zone, take a risk, and try something new every day.