Incase you missed the buzz, the Department of Health & Human Services has designated September as National "Yoga Month." That's right, there is an entire month dedicated to yoga (we know, it's pretty awesome). Although this doesn't necessarily affect our daily routines, it does force us to pause and appreciate our practice a little extra this month. It is no secret that we love yoga, but in the grand scheme of things, what really keeps us coming back to our mats week after week? Is it the euphoric feeling after a class? Maybe it's the challenge of trying a new pose? Or do we just love yoga pants that much?
One of the reasons we love yoga is that it challenges you to meet the moment. When we connect to the now through our practice, we open our hearts and minds. In this serenity, we learn. Yoga teaches us to be patient and to be strong. It teaches us about overcoming obstacles and setting intentions. But most importantly, yoga teaches us about ourselves.
In honor of Yoga Month, here are the top ten things that we have learned from yoga:
1. Yoga teaches us that all you need is yourself. This is not selfish. Instead, is it selfless. In order to devote yourself to your practice, all you need is you.
2. Yoga teaches us to let the stretch feel so good that it changes your breath.
3. Yoga teaches us that by closing our eyes, setting our intentions and being present in the moment, we can free the mind from our busy lives.
4. Balancing poses in yoga teach you how to concentrate on just one thing at a time. We learn to forget about multi-tasking, even if it's just for an hour a day.
5. Yoga teaches us that putting yourself out there and being open to trying new things ultimately helps make you more grounded and balanced.
6. Yoga teaches us to be happy, naturally. Seriously, go try an inversion. Talk about a natural high.
7. Yoga teaches us how to shift our emotions by shifting our breath.
8. Yoga teaches us that we are all connected; someway, somehow.
9. Yoga teaches us to challenge our limits. It's about getting comfortable outside of your comfort zone.
10. Yoga teaches us that we're not the only ones that feel crazy... it's been going on for centuries.
Ultimately, yoga has a lot more to offer than savasana and comfy pants. In yoga we are constantly learning-- about our minds, about our hearts, about life. So, what does your practice teach you?